About the Fund
The Fund achieves its goals through a four way partnership with a secondary school, an institution of higher education, an American host family and the Fund. The academic institutions provide coverage of tuition, room, board and certain other charges. The host family typically covers other normal expenses associated with a child in school. The Fund covers expenses which are beyond the capacity of the academic institution, the host family and the natural family back home. Expenses eligible for financial assistance by the Fund include reasonable airfare to the United States and back and visa fees. AGFAF students in college are expected to engage in lawful F-1 employment to cover personal expenses. Continued eligibility for Fund support is dependent upon the student’s satisfactory academic performance and compliance with all laws.
Fund Awards and Administration
The Fund reviews applicants, selects recipients and determines award amounts. The number and amount of each award is determined by the quality of the applications and the amount of funding available. Awards can be made for between one and five years of assistance. The Fund is administered by the Community Foundation of New Jersey (“Foundation”), a 501(c)(3) organization.
- Roberta Bitar, professional with investment banking and legal experience.
- Greg Brozowski, professional with investment banking and corporate strategy experience.
- David H. Bugen, (Emeritus) a principal of the firm of Regent Atlantic Capital, LLC in Harding Township, New Jersey.
- Karen Coates, community volunteer, former chemical engineer, Development Information Systems Manager
- Graham Cole, former Dean of Faculty at The Lawrenceville School and Headmaster at The Westminster School.
- Kathleen Deignan, Dean of Undergraduate Students, Princeton University.
- Hans Dekker, President of the Foundation.
- Jonathan Greenburg, former Peace Corps Volunteer (Afghanistan); retired secondary school teacher.
- Joseph Highland, co-founder and CEO Emeritus of ENVIRON Corporation.
- I. Leo Motiuk, co-founder and Special Counsel with Windels Marx Lane & Mittendorf in Madison, New Jersey.
- Ellen Jacob Wraith, (Emeritus) community volunteer and retired financial analyst.